Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Politics Behind It

Partial abortion births have been performed legally in the United States for years but was banned in about 30 states. Partial birth abortions are supposed to be used in a small amount of cases but it turns out that it is done up to as much as 5000 times a year. Many researchers used the example of "if a new virus swept through neo-natal units and killed even 500 premature babies, that would be a top news story -- not dismissed as an event too "rare" to be of consequence. ” That quote just means that if one event killed 500 people it would receive a lot of publicity but more than 500 partial birth abortions are performed each year and people are considering that to be rare when it's quite the opposite. A little double-standard don't you think? The partial birth abortion ban act of 2003 signed by George Bush was a law that said partial birth abortion couldn’t be used if the child was a “living fetus.” Because of the choice of words that have been used, a couple of loopholes have been created to get around this law, so it wasn’t too effective. This is still an ongoing conflict and this law didn’t really fix much of anything and check this out. If the law is not followed your penalty is up to two years in jail. A worthy punishment? I think not!

5 comments:

Leslie H said...

I completely agree that it's a double-standard type situation. I can't believe how many partial birth abortions happen, and it's crazy that so few people have heard about them.

colleen said...

Yeah I agree. I had no idea that there are 5,000 partial birth abortions happnening every year. That's insane.

HotShot said...

I didn't even hear about partial birth abortions until I started my research so at least when people read my blog they might be able to learn something new. Maybe the more people know about, the more people would be opposed to it and hopefully will end it sometime in the future.

Amy Ellenburg said...

I cannot believe that there are loopholes to get around partial birth abortion. That is extremely wrong for the clinics to allow that kind of action. These clinics shouldn't be able to do that because it is morally wrong. The baby is so close to being born. There are so many other options that to have an abortion. If the woman doesn't want the baby, she give the baby up for adoption.

HotShot said...

Yea I think that another version of the bill should be passed to make the restrictions tighter. I know that there are ways to get around almost anything but it needs to be revised quite a bit, I think.