Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Theory

There are a couple of different reasons as to why abortion has become such a controversial issue in the world today. The role of religion in your life, the way you were brought up and the values that were instilled in you as a kid, your demographic area and the time period that you were growing up in, all affect a person’s outlook on abortion. If religion played a small part in your life than it is more likely that you and your family are not against abortion but if religion is a major aspect than you might see abortion as murder. Kids normally follow what the parents say and do regarding certain issues in life until they are old enough and are able to come up with their own decision. Until then, if the parents convey a negative attitude towards abortion than I am sure the kids will as well. In addition, if a family lives in a poor country it is more likely to be subject to abortion because they are economically insufficient and won’t be able to take care of the child the way that they want to, while in a country that is flourishing they are better able to support their children. People will have the same attitiude towards abortion if and only if people thought the same way, so people will not always agree with this issue. I will go into more depth about this later on.

5 comments:

mhylton said...

This theory has often been realized as a center of controversy between pro-life and pro-choice. I feel that even if people agree on being, say pro-choice, then they do so for different reasons. They develop these reasons through their thoughts, which is often times learned behavior, as you mentioned. It is important to understand the basis of controversy over the abortion debate so that society can better understand why people think the way they do--and maybe one day lead to a reasonable compromise on the issue.

Michelle said...

I grew up in a family in which religion played a small role in my upbringing. After the age of 10, my family stopped going to services every Sunday due to athletic practices and games. I definitely agree that this has had an impact on my stance about abortion. I believe that women have the right to have an abortion; I am pro-choice. However, I have many friends who went to Catholic High Schools who believe that abortion at any stage is murder, and who are pro-life.

jdemarco said...

i argee with the theory that with different situations growing up become differently opionated. I am pro-choice because i was raised in a non-reiligous home but another person may be pro-chioce because they base their believe off of life begins when concived

HotShot said...

It seems to me that based on the responses that I have gotten, I have came up with a reasonable theory as to why the outlook on abortion is so diversified. In essence, by knowing the cause of something the general public should be able to prevent it, right? If we eliminate having different opinions than are we demeaning America's right to be known as the land of the free?

HotShot said...

My situation is similar to that of Michelle's. in the beginning of my life I went to church almost every Sunday but then as I got more involved into athletics and music we went less and less. If I had continued going to church I think that my outlook on abortion could have shifted.